Wednesday 23 January 2013

Evolving use of technology in the classroom. 

Something slightly different as I am going to write about using an iPad. Just before Christmas I chose to write letters to Santa Claus with my Year 6 class. Ordinarily the children are enthused by this type of activity despite no longer being taken in by tales of St Nick. This year, however, my class were particularly scornful and lacking in enthusiasm.

When I set the rules for the letter: asking for three gifts only which must not need any form of electricity to work and asking for a fourth gift which would benefit someone other than themselves and require selfless thought, the resistance to the task grew.

I then pulled out my iPad from my cupboard to show the children a letter I had sent to Santa via my Letters to Santa app and the personal (well almost) response I had receive. Strangely enough, tuts and groans subsided and excited murmers began to bubble.

Once the children knew they would only be able to send their letters if they were of a respectable standard, I received an impressive level of thought and writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment